- 1 Preface
- 2 SCI Specifications: Chapter 1 - Introduction
- 3 SCI Specifications: Chapter 2 - Resource files
- 4 SCI Specifications: Chapter 3 - The Graphics subsystem
- 5 SCI Specifications: Chapter 4 - The Sound subsystem
- 6 SCI Specifications: Chapter 5 - The SCI Virtual Machine
- 7 SCI Specifications: Chapter 6 - SCI in action
- 8 List of Tables
- 9 List of Examples
This book describes the Script Interpreter or as it later became known as, Sierra Creative Interpreter, versions 0.xxx and 1.xxx to the extent known to the general public, as well as the FreeSCI interpreter for those games. Please contact the author if you find that anything is being described incorrectly or missing.
Throughout the documentation, the term SCI will be used to describe the original Sierra Creative Interpreter, in any version. SCI0 will refer to all games using the SCI version 0.xxx, except for those games who use the 'in-between' game engine referred to as SCI01 (such as Quest for Glory 2). SCI1 will refer to the interpreter version 1.xxx. FreeSCI will refer specifically to either implementation details of the FreeSCI engine or to extensions of the original SCI engine specific to FreeSCI.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members of the FreeSCI and SCI Decoding Projects and their supporters, as well as Carl Muckenhoupt, who took the first steps of SCI decoding, for their valuable help and support.
Please note that some of the text contributions have been cut, reformatted or slightly modified in an attempt to improve the general quality of this document.
- 1.1 The basics
- 1.2 Resource storage
- 1.3 SCI Resources
- 1.4 The individual resources: A summary
- 1.5 Sierra SCI games
- 2.1 SCI0 resources
- 2.2 SCI1 resources
- 2.3 Decompression algorithms
- 3.1 General stuff
- 3.2 SCI Ports
- 3.3 The Cursor resource
- 3.4 The SCI0 View Resource
- 3.5 The SCI font resource
- 3.6 The SCI0 and SCI01 pic resource
- 3.7 Windows, Dialogs and Controls
- 3.8 Pictures and movement control
- 4.1 The SCI0 Sound Resource Format
- 4.2 Mapping instruments in FreeSCI
- 5.1 SCI Virtual Machine Introduction
- 5.2 Interpreter initialization and the main execution loop
- 5.3 The SCI Heap
- 5.4 The Sierra PMachine
- 5.5 Kernel functions
- 6.1 Event handling in SCI
- 6.2 The Parser
- 6.3 Views and animation in SCI
List of Tables
- 2-1 SCI0 compression algorithms
- 2-2 SCI01 compression algorithms
- 2-3 SCI1.0 compression algorithms
- 2-4 SCI1.1 compression algorithms
- 3-1 The SCI font resource data structure
- 3-2 The SCI font resource character data structure
- 6-1 SCI and FreeSCI signal bits
List of Examples
- Note: This is a Wiki conversion of the SCI documentation found on the FreeSCI site. The following is the copyright from that documentation
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 by the authors - Lars Skovlund, Christoph Reichenbach, Ravi Iyengar, Rickard Lind, Vladimir Gneushev, Petr Vyhnak, Dark Minister and Francois Boyer
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this documentation to deal in the Documentation without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Documentation, and to permit persons to whom the Documentation is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Documentation.
THE DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE DOCUMENTATION OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE DOCUMENTATION.
The Sierra Creative Interpreter was originally developed by Sierra On-Line, Inc. "Sierra On-Line Inc. (TM)" is a registered trademark of Sierra On-Line, Inc. Quest for Glory: So You Want To Be A Hero, Quest For Glory 2: Trial By Fire and Space Quest 3: The Pirates of Pestulon are trademarks of Sierra On-Line, Inc.